Devil's Slide

Devil's Slide

Monday, December 7, 2009

Base Camp Borrego Springs

I've had cycling camp on my calendar for a couple months now. My coach, Rob Panzera of Cycle Camp San Diego, is putting on a camp out in Borrego Springs this week. I've scheduled my clients at work around this week, so I could head out and get in 300+ miles this week. And wouldn't you know it! The biggest storm of the year hits San Diego on Sunday Night. I've been watching the weather the last week or so and saw this one coming. My plan was to take our RV out and stay in the Borrego Camp Ground at the base of Montezuma Grade. Most of the people going to this camp are probably from places where the weather is terrible this time of year and traveled to southern California knowing how good our weather is year round. Ouch. Although we have got a couple inches today in San Diego and Borrego, it looks like tomorrow will be okay for me to head out to Borrego. There was no way to make it out today. Winds are still gusting to 60-70mph in the mountains on the way to the desert. Not a good plan for a 35' rv towing a toyota truck. My plan is to go for a bike ride here in San Diego in the am, as I couldn't get to Borrego early enough to get settled into the campground and meet the group by 8. I will head out early afternoon. About a 1:30 drive with the train in tact. I'm really looking forward to this camp.

The goal of the camp is to continue building a strong base. There will be lots of miles and climbing, but with low intensity. As far as I can figure out, the stronger the base, the stronger the top of the pyramid during the racing season.

I'll try to post from Borrego each evening, as this is somewhat of a get away for myself. Work has been hectic (in a good way) for quite some time now and it's time for me to get away for a little solo time.

No comments:

Post a Comment