Devil's Slide

Devil's Slide

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Ranchos Ride on Saturday

Decided to ride with the Ranchos group on Saturday. I really wanted to go ride with NCCC, but with Saturday being my only day that I go out and hammer, I thought that Ranchos would be a challenge. My thinking was right. The rides with Ranchos are very energetic, if I must say. They do a good roll out for about 3-4 miles before things get exciting. Yesterday, we went from the start point@ North County Fair over to Del Dios, then Rancho Santa Fe, Twin Oaks, then up to Gopher Canyon and back via Champagne and Center City Pkwy. Things got pretty sporty on Del Dios Southbound. The group split into a few different selections. I was up in the front group all the way into Rancho Santa Fe, where we had to regroup with a turn or no turn decision. I was really putting in a lot of effort with this front group. Next we went into RSF and over San Elijo and up Twin Oaks. I never look forward to Twin Oaks, as this hill has been a nemisis of mine since the early days of riding with NCCC. I used to just watch Joe and Dan ride away from me on this hill, going in either direction. I was in the front group on the way up from the West side, then an acceleration from two guys. I started to go with, but their pace was such that I believe I would've blown up. I had been watching my heart rate and it was up at the 187 range consistenly on this climb and the run on Del Dios. I was feeling good, just putting out a lot of effort. For those of you who think the guys in the front of the group rides aren't putting in a lot of effort and strategy, I say come out and ride with Ranchos. They may not have been at 100%, but I think they were close and so was I. I made it over the top of Twin Oaks at the front of the second group, although I did sit up and soft pedal at the top thinking there was a regroup waiting for folks who wanted to go up double peak, not! We then headed all the way up twin oaks into the gopher canyon area. I'm not sure of the exact road, but it cuts through a private road and heads up at about 15-16% at the end. I had been in the front group and watching the first two guys working very hard approaching this steep part at the end. As they stood up, I stayed in the saddle and spun right past them to the top. I know this sounds menial, but knowing how this group approaches the Saturday ride, it should be appreciated. I felt really good and continued on the rest of the ride towards Champagne. Champagne runs along the 15 freeway next to Lawrence Welk village and is a long grind of a hill. It's actually not that long, maybe two miles and the grade is only 5-7% I believe, but for some reason it's never any fun since the pace can be pretty quick. We ran into a group of Adam's Avenue guys, who I actually met last week and hooked up with them all the way up. I was pretty tired by the top and we cruised back to the mall via Center City Pkway and "Chris Horner's" secret path.

My garmin said that we did just shy of 4000 feet of climbing and 53 miles with an average speed of 18 mph. I always feel good after the Ranchos ride, but know beforehand that it's going to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment