Devil's Slide

Devil's Slide

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tried Something Different Today

Since Joe and Chip of NCCC were off doing other things this weekend, I decided to try a ride with Ranchos Cycle Club here in San Diego. Their ride starts pretty close to my house, so it's convinient. I rode or tried to ride with Ranchos about 7 or 8 years ago. It wasn't pretty. I was dropped on the first climb (Lake Wohlford Road). They were kind enough to wait at the top, but I was done. I couldn't believe how fast they were climbing. I had pretty good strength, but no stamina to climb continuously fast. One of my goals since I started riding again last year was to get in good enough shape to ride with these guys and be able to keep up. My rides with NCCC are great and they have pushed me to my current level of fitness, but I knen that Ranchos were just a faster group. I thought today would be a good day to try a ride with them, considering I'm in the best shape of my life.

It's a strange feeling to be the "new guy" at the group ride. Not knowing what to expect, I had a little anxiety. I kinda stick out in the parking lot before the start. Everyone notices that I'm riding a brand new Trek Madone and how did I get Campy Record on it? And how are those Record brakes gold lettered? There's always a guy that shows up on fancy equipment and can't ride worth a turd. I didn't want to be that guy. I was modest and explained how this was my first time out with that one exception along time ago and off we went.

I knew the route fairly well from riding with NCCC and had been on it a few times before. The first hill was Jesmond Dene about 12 miles from the start. I stayed mid pack and waited to see what was going to happen. To my surprise, people were falling off the sides and I was still in the front 4 with the top of the hill in sight. A couple guys stood up and started to hammer to the top. I didn't feel it appropriate to be the first one to the top of the first hill on the first ride with the club, so I stayed in the saddle and rode over the top as the third guy. I was pleasantly surprised that I could keep up with these guys, let alone get to the top of any hill in the front group. The next hill was West Lilac, a 5% climb of some distance. Once again I was up front and able to crest the hill as the third guy again. This continued and eventually, I was able to lead some hills or top in second place. These guys were moving at a pretty good pace. The average was about 2mph faster than NCCC with 57 miles.

Overall, it was great, as these guys pushed me harder than ever. Kinda like when I first started riding with NCCC. I felt spent every Saturday after the ride. Same thing today. I will continue to ride with NCCC and fit in a few rides with Ranchos over the next few months. Maybe that will change in the future.

Who woulda thunk that I could go hammer with the front of Ranchos! Pretty happy and ready to keep my fitness moving onward and upward. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment