Devil's Slide

Devil's Slide

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Well, here's what I have come up with so far as the Epic thing goes. I'm thinking of the Race Across the West which is a shorter version of the famous RAAM (Race Across America). In order to compete in this race, I will need to qualify. This consists of completing a 24 hour bicycle endurance event. I will have to ride atleast 400 miles in 24 hours. I figured that out to be an average of 16.66 mph for 24 hours. That's pretty quick. My usual group rides around so cal (very hilly) are in the 17-18 mph range. I would assume that most of these qualifiers are of the flatter than so cal type. I'll have to do a little more research on this. I can't imagine averaging almost 17mph in hilly terrain. There is no drafting allowed so you are alone in the wind for the duration of the event. Almost sounds like an aero bike would be neccesary for the flat lands.

I'm still in the thinking about this stage, but a tentative plan if I choose to do this would be to qualify in Spring of 2010 and either race in June of 2010 or 2011. Once qualified, I can race within three years.

I've thought about many other options, including local bike races (club criterium races, etc). Although challenging, they really don't fit the "Epic" definition by my standards. I'm a very goal oriented person, so something that would be as much mental as physical is probably where I'm headed with this.

That should give me plenty to sleep on tonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment