Devil's Slide

Devil's Slide

Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Stuff

I've been putting in steady 150- 200 mile weeks for the past month or so. Been concentrating on intervals during the week, with a Saturday ride with a group. As part of my Annual Training Plan, I am doing low intensity intervals right now. Usually trying to keep my heart rate below the 80% mark with a couple exceptions during the rides. I've noticed great improvements on some local routes to include Del Dios Hwy and Champagne, along the 15. It's very different to be riding along and have people passing you, as you are concentrating on your intervals. It's not hard, as I've always been a person to look to the future to make decisions now. I'm not sure how much of my improvement is to be associated with my coaching from Rob (which is great) or just me riding myself into shape, as I have been for over a year now. Either way it feels great. As my Annual Training Plan keeps moving, we are gearing up (no pun intended) for a few races next year. First up will be "The Race on the Base" at Camp Pendleton in February. Next will be the Boulevard Road Race, East of San Diego. I have made a decision to concentrate on Road Racing specifically next year. I feel that my current schedule and fitness make road racing a realistic goal for next season. Not just to compete, but to win is the mentality. Obviously, I will be entering a beginner class (maybe cat 5, which is the beginner class I believe). I'm really looking forward to it. I think the local, shorter races will fit into my schedule better and favor my talents thus far in cycling.

I have been out to ride with other groups within San Diego and have been able to finsih in a very respectable position with plenty left in the tank, so I think my chances during competition will be great, especially with the coaching link from Rob. I have been working with Rob on diet, as well as riding. He rode with me last weekend at the "Chilli's" ride out of Mission Valley. He filled me in on the tactics of the ride, as this was to be 33 mile sprint around San Diego. Mostly flat, but a few places during the ride, you definitely wanted to be towards the front, as selections were made. The only real climb was out of Sorrento Valley on Carrol Canyon. I was #4 to the top, so I felt pretty good about that. A couple of the front guys looked like they were in excellent shape, so I was stoked to be able to stay with them for the most part.

Bottom line, I now have goals set for next season and will be working towards them with lots of riding and coaching. Obviously, the racing will be pretty exciting, but the blog between now and then will be updated regularly with training perspectives along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment